Monday, September 24, 2007

Saber Tooth Curriculum

This clever article provides a metaphor for viewing the development of the educational system, as well for considering educational reform. At the beginning of the article, the children spent their time playing and having fun. A wise member of the community realized that the entire population would benefit if the children were taught the essential skills that they needed for survival as adults. So, the Saber Tooth Curriculum was created. At the time, it was challenged by the more religious members of the community, but it was eventually successfully adopted. As time passed, the needs of the community changed and some began to advocate for adding items to the curriculum or removing outdated items. The article ended with this society being left to consider the things that are really essential to a comprehensive curriculum.



The part in the article that I identified most with was the statement made by an older member of this society near the conclusion of the article. This man supported the Saber Tooth Curriculum because he felt that some things in education should stand the test of time and remain timeless. The statement seems absurd (which I think was the author's point) because of the uselessness of the Saber Tooth Curriculum to the current society. It got me thinking because I tend to REALLY like routine and tradition, which I think can be both beneficial and detrimental to my students. One of the areas that I am strongest at in my classroom is reading instruction. I think much of this strength stems from the important value that I place upon reading as a subject, art, and life skill. But, I will admit (and I work on this) that I can sometimes focus too much on reading in the course of a day and not enough on other areas (like Science and Social Studies). I know that I am sometimes hesitant about teaching new things or subjects because they don't fit with my thoughts on what constitutes a "good education". But this article really points out that education should fit with the needs of the time and serve a purpose. Ultimately, these curricular decisions should be made by our society to fit our needs, rather than by individual teachers, school buildings, or districts.

3 comments:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

I think you realize the overarching point of the class-- change is tough, but sometimes needed. Tradition, however is important too. Ah, where to find the balance?

Kristin E. Robinson said...

Change is tough for some of us to handle. I know I am one of those people who at times doesn't adapt well to change. I agree with you that certain skills like reading has a very imporant value, but too much of one thing isn't always good. As educators it is important to recongize our flaws because we are the only ones who can change them. We live in a ever changing society so I feel it is important that our education changes with it. Therefore I am on your side when you say that education should serve a purpose and fit in with the time.

Tavarez said...

Are there "timeless" concepts in education? It seems that everything we teach or should teach must have a current value associated to it. Even tradition and historical facts have a relation to modern issues. Do we ever teach just for teaching?